We are driving to Port Orford to visit the prehistoric gardens, then to Bandon for the Wildlife Zoo and then working our way back to Tillamook. We are looking for some special sights and sounds to visit on Highway 101. We’ve been to the lighthouses on the Oregon coast but are wondering about some not so common sights.What do you recommend?
If you’re doing the Prehistoric Gardens and the wildlife park, you would probably like the Sea Lion Caves, between Florence and Yachats on Highway 101. And, if you’re looking for unusual sights on Highway 101 as you head north, look for:
- Otter Crest Loop, between Newport and Depoe Bay
- Boiler Bay — especially at really low tides, you can see the boiler!
- The Glassblowing Studio in Lincoln City
- Proposal Rock in Neskowin
- Munson Falls, about 10 miles south of Tillamook
- Blue Heron Cheese Factory (petting farm!) just south of the big cheese factory in Tillamook
Have something to add What’s Your Answer?
Share your thoughts Answers From Other People
Kathy Frazer says…
Cape Perpetua — take a picnic and drive right to the top parking lot. There are a couple of picnic tables there with simply spectacular views. Once back down at the highway, park in the visitor area and walk a short ways down to the blowhole.
Other questions about General Travel
- How did Grants Pass get it’s name? I’ve heard several different versions.
- We are thinking of doing a road trip through Oregon for 2 weeks in early July 2013. We’re most interested in mountain / wildlife scenery in Oregon and coastal and wine experiences. We would also like to know if it is easy to do this by motorhome rather than car? – Gill W., Cardiff, Wales.
- I am looking to do a trek across Oregon to visit all the historical landmarks. What places are a must see?
About Ask Oregon Expert Niki Price
Niki Price is the editor and co-owner of Oregon Coast Today, a weekly newspaper covering arts, entertainment and the environment on the central Oregon coast. She roams the shores of the Oregon coast, covering everything from pelican proliferation to proffered profiteroles, with two underage editorial assistants often in tow.